The Abby’s House shelter provides temporary shelter to women with or without children. Our shelter is a night shelter and is open between the hours of 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. During the day the shelter is closed.
Unfortunately, the shelter is not handicapped accessible and requires guests to have the ability to move up and down the stairs unassisted.
Abby’s provides an independent living environment. Guests in the shelter are required to meet with an Advocate at least once per week to develop an Empowerment Plan and receive case management services.
- Please call 508-756-5486 to find out if there is shelter space available. When the shelter is full, we will not be accepting intakes. You will have to check back to see if we have availability every two to three weeks. If we have availability, we will accept intakes.
The following is a list of service providers that may be able to help you. Abby’s House is providing this information to you as a consideration. We cannot guarantee availability of any services. Unfortunately, services and shelter are overwhelmed by the volume of those in need. If you have a case manager, we encourage you to work with them.
- While you are seeking shelter, you should do these tasks to move you forward toward housing:
- Single women should submit a Single Room Occupancy (SRO) application to WCHR at 11 Pleasant Street in Worcester and SMOC at 237 Chandler Street in Worcester.
- Women with children should complete an application for Emergency Assistance (Family Shelter) at the DTA office. If you do not qualify, you should have a denial letter to be considered for the Abby’s House shelter. Women with children should also call shelters listed at https://mahomeless.org/family-shelters/ if they do not qualify through DHCD.
- For pregnant women with no other children, contact the Visitation House on 119 Endicott Street in Worcester at 508-798-8002
If you are a single woman in immediate need of shelter, you can access the shelter at the Greater Worcester Housing Authority at 25 Queen Street in Worcester. Single women can also contact Catholic Worker House on 52 Mason Street in Worcester at 508-753-3588 to inquire about their shelter availability.
For Information on Recovery Services
25 Pleasant Street, Worcester
For Information on Housing Assistance
Central Mass Housing Alliance Housing Counseling
6 Institute Road, Worcester
12 East Worcester Street, Worcester
For Information on Domestic Violence Services
1 Salem Square, Worcester
Safelink State-wide DV Shelter access Hot Line
For 17-24 Year Olds
40 Southbridge Street, Worcester
SMOC TAY Program
237 Chandler Street, Worcester