- This event has passed.
Giving Tuesday 2023
November 28 @ 12:00 am - 11:59 pm
Provide a Financial Safety Net for Her to Realize Her Goals
Join us on Tuesday, November 28 for a global day of giving to directly support the women and children who rely on Abby’s House to provide a future of safety, healing, and hope. Support the Annette Rafferty Strive to Thrive Fund (ARST) which provides direct financial support to women to help fulfill their dreams without having to worry about financial burdens that come with them.
The Annette Rafferty Survive to Thrive (ARST) Fund was created to provide direct financial support to women to help them fulfill their dreams and thrive without having to worry about any financial burdens that may come with them. Many women at Abby’s do not have enough money for a security deposit to obtain safe, affordable housing. Others cannot afford simple necessities, like transportation, that would keep them connected and safe. ARST is an effective part of a woman’s support network that is meant to help a woman on her journey move to a thriving existence. The goal of this fund is to help the women of Abby’s House lead self-directed lives filled with dignity and hope – empowering them to know that anything they set their mind to is possible.
With your gift, YOU can replace financial barriers and a sense of hopelessness with support that enables residents and guests to regain self-confidence and optimism that “they can succeed.” Every award made, whether big or small, plays a significant role in advancing personal goals. A snapshot of these annual activities includes, but are not limited to:
• To be safe from domestic violence, ARST Fund pays for emergency transportation to either a safe shelter or to a safe friend or family member in another state. ARST Fund pays for short-term hotel accommodations for families to meet immediate needs for safety that cannot be met otherwise.
• To move beyond shelter and homelessness to permanent housing, the ARST Fund pays for 1st month rent and/or security deposit so that shelter guests can obtain a room or an apartment.
• To gain marketable skills that could increase income to a living wage, ARST Fund pays for training and education opportunities. ARST Fund has funded courses for CNA (certified nurse’s assistant); phlebotomy; bookkeeper; computer software training; medical billing; data entry.
• To maintain employment, ARST Fund pays for bus passes for transportation.
• To have access to camperships and school-vacation programs for children, ARST Fund pays for the fees. This provides more than just the basic childcare; the children have access to substantial enrichment, skills building and healthy lifestyle modeling.
• To receive necessary medical or dental treatment not provided by health insurance, ARST Fund pays for emergency and chronic health needs.
For the women served by Abby’s House this resource is truly a financial safety net that provides the support needed to successfully navigate emergencies and take advantage of new opportunities for a more hopeful and dignified life.
Together with your support, we will reach our goal of raising $10,000 to help our shelter guests and residents remain financially stable and empowered in their resolve to move their lives forward.
Giving Tuesday 2023
Expenses in which the Annette Rafferty Survive to Thrive Fund has been utilized for:
$55 – Obtain legal documents for employment applications or applications for permanent housing
$100 – Transportation for women to get critical medical appointments, interviews, the grocery store, and more
$250 – Medical co-payments for routine dental cleanings, physicals, and screenings
$500 – Tuition assistance for advanced education and job training
$1,000 – Out of pocket expenses for mental health services
$2,500 – Supports a women moving into permanent housing outside of Abby’s House including first and last month’s rent and security deposit
Make your gift by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, November 28!
Share the opportunity with friends and family to make a gift to support the women and children of Abby’s House this Giving Tuesday. View sample email and social templates in our Peer-to-Peer Giving Toolkit! And don’t forget to visit our social pages on Giving Tuesday to see your generosity in action!
Give today and change a life forever.